You have finally made the decision to sell the family home and relocate to a smaller place or downsize for retirement. The Real Estate Agent is coming for a view, but prior to this appointment, you should consider what the Real Estate Agent will expect from you so your property will be ready for the sale. The Real Estate Agent works for you and works for commission. They will be as ambitious as you to achieve the best result. In the hope of achieving the best possible price, your Real Estate Agent will recommend a few repairs or alterations to achieve those goals.
Here is a guideline as to what the Real Estate Agent may look out for when surveying your property:
- The first thing a buyer will notice as they pull up to your home will be your garden. There is no need to get extravagant, you just need to tidy up and make sure things look neat and preferably alive. This is one simple improvement that can increase your home value, so make it count.
- Remove clutter. This is one of the most cost effective home selling tips. You need to make your home clutter free to maximise the presented space in your home. The more clutter, the more uncomfortable things will feel. Go through everything and clear out all the non-essentials. A cluttered home can make your home feel a lot smaller than it is. Buyers today prefer bright open spaces without an abundance of someone’s personal property. One of the things that will help sell a house fast is an uncrowded, clean space. The buyers need to see themselves in your home.
- If you have moved out prior to the home going on sale, we recommend you have the home styled as opposed to leaving it empty. This will give potential buyers a clearer visual of the space and how it can be used.
- Paint if needed. If your home hasn’t been painted for some time and/or your home has a dark interior, this can reflect in how your home is perceived. Old, stained paint makes rooms feel drab. Dark colours can shrink the perception of the space. A fresh coat of paint is the main home improvement in securing more bang for your buck. From a selling standpoint, it is best to stick with light neutral colours.
- Do you need a professional clean? A clean home is inviting to buyers. The easiest way to know your home is spotless and looking its best is to hire a professional cleaner. Make sure your kitchen and bathrooms are spotless, these are areas which buyers pay close attention. Consider whether you need to have your carpets professionally cleaned. A small spend will prevent the buyer thinking they need to replace the carpet.
- What needs repairing? If you are aware of any maintenance needed on the interior or exterior, it would assist in the sale if you had these kinds of jobs done. A Real Estate Agent will be looking for any adjustments required, like a hole in a fence, leaky toilet, or a visible stain on the ceiling. These are things buyers may balk at and endeavour to demand a lower price.
- Address any odours. Smells are powerful and can easily drive someone away from buying your home. You may not realise a smell is there. Ask an outsider you trust to let you know if they can detect any odours. Pet and cooking odours are normally the worst offenders. Odours can kill a home sale as the buyer will fear they won’t rid the smell once they purchase the house. Don’t take this chance, remove them.
- Open House Inspections. You will be expected to have a clean and tidy home for every open house. You need to be show ready. Don’t leave dishes in the sink, bathrooms must be shiny and rid of any dust collections in corners. If you are a pet owner, you should have your pet minded elsewhere during this time. Many home owners are not pet owners and having evidence of your pet, including their odours, pet bowls etc. can be a real turn off to some people.
These are some of the best available tips in preparing your home for a successful sale.
The Colomba Team offer a variety of packages to assist you in the process of relocation whether downsizing your home or into an aged care facility. Our first consultation is free… Contact us to make a time
Related Tag: Seniors House Clearance Sunshine Coast